Sunday, October 19, 2008

Light up the Darkness

Some of you may have seen the movie, I Am Legend, with Will Smith, the only part of the movie that I really liked was the music, other than this one scene. Will Smith is talking to another character, explaining to her who Bob Marley was and his ideology, he says of Bob Marley: "He had this idea. It was kind of a virologist idea. He believed that you could cure racism and hate... literally cure it, by injecting music and love into people's lives. When he was scheduled to perform at a peace rally, a gunman came to his house and shot him down. Two days later he walked out on that stage and sang. When they asked him why - He said, "The people, who were trying to make this world worse... are not taking a day off. How can I? Light up the darkness."
I did some research to verify the historicity of the events alluded to in this quote...unfortunately, that was right after the movie, and now I cannot remember what I found out. Anyway, it was not the historicity of this event that is important, rather, it is the message that it conveys (similar to many parts of the Bible). My studies of the "problem of evil" have lead to many frustrations, but the reality of the so-called problem, is that much of the "evil" in the world can be overcome by human actions. I am not by any means insinuating that free will is the main cause of evil and suffering in the world. Rather, I am saying that humanity can and should use its free will to ease pain, suffering, and reduce the amount of "evil" in the world wherever and whenever possible. Sometimes it is better to act than to sit around and wonder...LIGHT UP THE DARKNESS!



No comments: